Shed Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to one and all,
I've got a shed to put up for someone, only 2'6" by 6'.
It is going onto a firm concrete base but I was wondering what measures to take to raise it off the ground.
On bricks? or timber? and the use of some damp proof material.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would just give the underside of the base a couple of extra coats of wood preservative and stand it on bricks. You can always put a square of dpm between each brick and the base for added peiece of mind.

I use sleepers made from 3x2 rough sawn timber. I give them a coat of primer then undercoat and finally a coat of gloss, using cheap paint. I suppose you could just give them to coats of gloss. That rough sawn soaks up the paint though. I got a new shed last year and after dumping the old one i was surprised to find the sleepers i had made many years ago were still in good nick. there now propping the new shed up.

Same deal here, there is a firm concrete base that the adjoining garage also sits on.
As I don't want to make the shed higher than the garage (I want the roof slope to continue from garage downwards) I decided against a raised floor for the shed, instead using the existing concrete as the shed floor. I reckon a low brick wall with the shed walls resting on that will do the trick. To keep out ground based crawlies! and rainwater on the ground, but where do I put the dpc strip, in the brickwork, or on top of the brickwork where the timber will rest on?

Sponsored Links
Same deal here, there is a firm concrete base that the adjoining garage also sits on.
As I don't want to make the shed higher than the garage (I want the roof slope to continue from garage downwards) I decided against a raised floor for the shed, instead using the existing concrete as the shed floor. I reckon a low brick wall with the shed walls resting on that will do the trick. To keep out ground based crawlies! and rainwater on the ground, but where do I put the dpc strip, in the brickwork, or on top of the brickwork where the timber will rest on?

As I don't want to make the shed higher than the garage (I want the roof slope to continue from garage downwards) I decided against a raised floor for the shed, instead using the existing concrete as the shed floor. I reckon a low brick wall with the shed walls resting on that will do the trick. To keep out crawlies and rainwater on the ground, but where do I put the dpc strip, in the brickwork, or on top of the brickwork where the timber will rest on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back