Shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I'm looking to lay a concrete shed base I have plenty of hardcore as I'm knocking trough a internal wall and doorway so by using this the saving on skips will hopefully cover the cost of the base ?
The size will be around 10ft x 8ft the first question is how much ballast and cement will I need to order given that I'm using hardcore under the base ?
I don't want to dig it out so I hope it will be ok just to lay it over the ground so it gives me a step up ?
If so should I just shutter the sides with boards to form the sides or will it be better to lay a brick edge and then infill after ?
One last question, to stop the damp coming up into my timber shed I was going to lay a plastic sheet over the whole thing with the timber on top taking the edges up the sides of the timber frame then screening the floor once the shed is up ? Is this the right way to do this?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I am not sure that the materials used for an internal wall are suitable for use as hardcore. Certainly pink plaster turns to mush when wet so is verboten. I would use 6" shuttering round the edges with a width of 6"( at least) then 3" over the centre concrete on to well compacted hardcore or sub soil. Top soil contains plant material which will rot away and leave voids. You pays yer money. . . .
A bit of plastic/roofing felt UNDER the joists will be good, wrapping them in plastic will stop them drying out which is bad.
Frank

Most of the hardcore will be brick and well compacted I will of cause take a skim from the ground to remove anything that's growing but it's just weeds so shouldn't be to bad
Is it really bad if the bricks have plaster on them its an old house so I think the base coat is cement render ?
But I just wanted to save money on a skip ?
Shuttering the edges will be good as that's more money (and time) saved
Roofing felt sounds good to put the timbers on I wasn't intending to wrap the beams just lap the edges of the plastic sheet up a couple of inches on the outside before the cladding goes on the beams will only be around the perimeter as I intend to have a screed floor that's why I thought the plastic sheet first so it's under the screed as a damp barrier ?
Any info on the amount of ballast I should order ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back