Is Hardcore essential??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend I'll be laying a concrete shed base. I've prepared the shuttering but because the land is slopping, two sides of the shuttering are 100mm deep whareas the other two sides are anything up to 200mm deep. Will I be ok to fill the whole area with concrete or is it essential to first fill the deeper areas with hardcore. The shed is the metal variety with no base. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You must level the base, so you need to dig out the 100mm end so you get a uniform 200mm. It is essential to use well rammed hardcore this will give a uniform hard surface for the concrete.

Given that the top of the shuttering is perfectly level, what would the consequence be of me using only using concrete. It would naturally level the area but the concrete would be 100mm thick at one end and 200mm at the other. The only item being stored is a sit on mower. Apologies if this is a dumb question. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would naturally level the area but the concrete would be 100mm thick at one end and 200mm at the other.

So you end up with a wedge of concrete, twice as heavy at one end as the other, sitting on an unlevel base. It will tend to creep and bury its self unevenly into the soil, and all your hard work will be wasted.

Get digging. :)

It makes a lot of sense when you say it like that......At least the recent rain has softened things up. Thanks very much for your wise words.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back