Sloping ground options for concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a section of garden that runs down in one corner about 600mm over about 2000mm.

I want to pave the area and then have a 100mm concrete base to build a timber shed on. The concrete base will be in the area that the garden slopes the most.

What options do I have?

Can I just chuck a load of hardcore down with a sloping edge and then shutter with timber for the slab?

or

Do I dig a 300mm wide footing and fill with a 100mm (or more?) concrete foundation then brick up to ground level and infill with hardcore?

Are there any other options I might have?

Sponsored Links
You either dig out the high side but then need to retain the ground or you build a wall on the low side as you suggest. Building a formwork and filling in the area with hardcore will lead to problems if the hardcore is not adequately retained.

If its for a shed you don't need a solid wall and slab, You could use concrete posts or lintels spanning onto some blockwork piers? Less work and less cost but a little more fiddly. Wall and slab is better, less of a home for animals such as rats etc nesting under

You either dig out the high side but then need to retain the ground or you build a wall on the low side as you suggest. Building a formwork and filling in the area with hardcore will lead to problems if the hardcore is not adequately retained.

If its for a shed you don't need a solid wall and slab, You could use concrete posts or lintels spanning onto some blockwork piers? Less work and less cost but a little more fiddly. Wall and slab is better, less of a home for animals such as rats etc nesting under

Again, good advice thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back