concrete ceiling/one brick wall condensation probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies if this is the wrong forum...Couldn't decide where this should go!

I've got a major prob in my house to do with condensation (which i know has been talked about a lot but my case is slightly diff to all posts i can find!)

one bedroom is part of an extension - it has a flat concrete ceiling, and the outdoor walls are only one brick thick, no insulation then plasterboard/skimmed. I'm getting major condensation in the corners on the ceiling (huge droplets of water across the whole corner, and above the window, as well as black mottled patches) as well as a small amount of condensation on the walls. I'm toying with looking at drylining for the walls - but any suggestions on the ceiling? one though was to lower the ceiling a couple of inches - leaving an air space, maybe some insulation and then a new layer if plasterboard...would that work?

As you can prob guess i'm no expert on building! any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
you need some serious inso' at this junction to prevent cold bridge.

messing around with dry lining and small air gaps will not be enough.

you need to fix insulation board or inso' backed plasterboards to the walls and ceiling as a minimum.

why the reluctance to fit insulation?

no reluctance really - just not sure of best option. The concrete roof is flat so other than putting a new roof there's no insulation space...i'm afraid i'm clueless when it comes to this stuff! :oops:

Basically we need something that will solve as much of the prob as possible, but as ever for the cheapest cost and minimal disruption. there is enough height on the roof to drop it a couple of inches but i don't know what we could do about the walls!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back