Concrete fence posts for patio roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of building a covered patio attached to an outbuilding in the yard. I am planning to use polycarbonate roofing sheets, and frame it is pressure treated wood. For the posts, I don't want to use wood, because they always rot at the bottom, so I was thinking to use concrete fence posts. I have not seen a concrete post specifically made for this purpose.

Does anyone ever done this? and if so how did it work out?

Sponsored Links
I think your problem will be finding them tall enough. I have a similar set up and clad the wooden posts in 3mm plastic for it to be maintainance free and to help protect the base of the wood which is also protected from getting wet by the poly carb roof. But yes they will rot eventually and when they do I will replace with galvanised steel or aluminium box section.
Maybe you should go that way to start with.

You could use post feet bolted into the patio so the post is not in the ground

I think your problem will be finding them tall enough.

Around here you can get them up to 3m, so I think that will be fine for what I need, as they will only be at the "low" end of the roof. I was thinking about using steel as well.

Sponsored Links
You could use post feet bolted into the patio so the post is not in the ground
He could but IMO I think they are a bit ugly unless you get some expensive designer stainless steel ones :cool:but then again a concrete fence post is going to look :sick:

I have not seen a concrete post specifically made for this purpose.
What purpose, exactly? Sinking into the ground and mounting a wooden post on top of it? Various options for doing that but I think it'd look better to just make the whole thing a concrete post

I know of two (better) methods you could use.

If, like a fence, you think the structure will be subject to strong sideways forces from the wind trying to blow it over, you can sink a concrete spur in the ground, setting in in concrete. You can then bolt your wooden post to it, a few inches above the ground, so it will not be made damp and will not be in contact with rot spores or wood-eating insects.

If, like a shed, the load will mostly be downward forces from weight, you can cast a concrete pad into the ground, raised several inches above ground level, with a steel shoe cast or bolted into it. This will have the same effect.

For bext results soak the ends of the posts in wood preserver beforehand, and paint the steelwork all over with oxide primer and gloss paint. And position the posts under the roof structure, and inside cladding if you have it, to keep rain off.

Examples of both methods in my pic. You can make the pads neater than mine by using better wooden formwork to make the visible part, and a few inches into the ground, square with a slight camber to throw off any rain. I can't remember why I made that pad so big. Might have been a raised neighbours garden previously. The others are much neater. Mine have masonry paint on the concrete to help them blend into the fence stain on the timber. You could paint or stain yours any colour you want.

The reason mine also have a post is that I developed the shed inside a fence I had previously built. Otherwise I would have used pads because the other side is fixed to the house and will not blow away.

20220711_191509.jpg

Last edited:
What purpose, exactly? Sinking into the ground and mounting a wooden post on top of it?

I was thinking concrete posts that you can set in concrete that would go up all the way to the roof. I thought about building a mold and trying to cast something a little more decorative myself, but I am guessing they would be no where near as strong as fence posts, that are designed for lateral loads, and typically have several pieces of steel in them.

If wood sits in a metal socket near the ground and is exposed to rain, it will rot, treated will just slow it down. I have seen connectors like this that allow the ends to dry out, but imho they look awful.

PostBracket.jpg

I was thinking to set the posts a meter or so apart, pour a small footing between them, and put a couple rows of blocks and render it to match the building it is attached to, and sort of give the patio a boundary.

If you're building an edging wall, you can conceal the "ugly" bases in it, as plinths. If you are going to render it, your pads could be part of the wall, raising the posts off the ground.

If you're building an edging wall, you can conceal the "ugly" bases in it, as plinths. If you are going to render it, your pads could be part of the wall, raising the posts off the ground.
That is an idea, although once the ugly bases are inside, you are kind of back to the same problem, with the wood disappearing inside masonry. I suppose one could try sealing it really well, but I am guessing over time it water would get in and have no way out.

I though about putting them on top of the wall, but with a single skin wall, I am worried it would just fold in a strong wind. The posts really need to be connected at the ground, or on top of a fairly substantial wall.

You could use Steel posts if you wanted something durable but for a pergola you'll need at least 10' head clearance otherwise you'll be crawling around the patio, like a dog. Birch poles are more decorative and you can roof over the area using willow or hazel...not entirely rain proof but nicer to look at and with a suitable climbing plant can make the feature garden friendly.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I am planning on making the roof out of clear polycarbonate sheets or something similar:

PolycarbRoofing.jpg

I was going to frame the roof in timber. Since a wood beam will go atop the posts for the rafters to sit on, the posts need only be the height of a doorway, so I was thinking around 2m out of the ground with a 3m post.

The relevance of the roof, is that the roof frame will bring rigidity to the structure, holding the posts in place. If the roof is also fastened to the outbuilding, the posts will remain upright. It will not fold.

If your cast concrete plinths are flush with the wall, cast-in sockets enable the posts to stand slightly above.

Those ploycarbon roof sheets will be gone with the slightest breeze.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back