Removing concrete patio and installing slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be installing fence posts and fence soon. Part of this fence will run 1.5m from the side of the building. There is a concrete patio there. This patio is connected to the foundation of the building. Its a timber framed building with brick foundation.

I know there are erecta plates that can be drilled into the concrete instead of a spike or concreting around the fence post which is done with soil. But I would prefer remove it instead.

The concrete is fairly nasty. It has cracks and is uneven, so ideally I would like to remove it and replace it with pavers. The patio is connected to the wall. I am assuming its a cold joint, as there is nothing in between the two.

Are there any concerns such as water damage to the foundation if the concrete is removed and replaced with pavers? How would I go about seperating away the concrete from the wall without damaging it?

The driveway is also concrete and terrible so that will go eventually as well and be replaced with gravel. So just having concrete on the side of house would not be needed.

Also instead of pavers, can gravel just be used against the foundation wall instead? I'm guessing the only concern is water.

Sponsored Links
I don't see any problems being caused, if you are worried about damage then remove manually or with a mini jack hammer or both, use jack hammer until you get nearer to the building, younger even find it comes loose at the end which is always a bonus, I also think water would have got in by now if it wanted to, just be sure there is no waste pipes running underneath that's if you go that deep of coarse

It sounds like a very strange scenario?? Are you sure the 'concrete patio' is actually connected to the foundations of this building? Is it an outbuilding?

Any chance of a photo?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

The patio was poured against the wall. So I'm guessing its only connected in that it must have bonded to the render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back