removal of one slab from patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone,
can anyone advice me on how to remove one slab from the patio. i would like to plant a tree/plant by the fence and that means removing one of the concrete slabs on the patio.
my problem is i have no clue as to how to do this safely without damaging the other slabs.
any advice will be greatly appreciated.thanks

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think of is to use masonary drill bit without the hammer action and drill plenty of holes in the mortar joint and rake it out then remove the slab, if it's bedded on sand will need to make goods to the edge to prevent the sand movement

easier way.

hit the one you dont want with a sledge hammer, yes it will breeak into small carry away sized pieces but you wont damage the others

Sponsored Links
easier and safer way. You can cut the pointing out witha small angle grinder of carfully use a small bolster/cold chisel to remove the pointing first. you should then be able to get it out.

better way. cut the slab it half :LOL:

but suppose the op has no angle grinder :cry:

i bet you are thinking of the tree roots lifting the other slabs?

actually its not a tree. i am thinking of a plant/bush that grows to about 6 ft in height.
the only reason i am doing it is because i want some privacy from my next door neighbour. the fence on that side is too short (about 4ft)and it belongs to the neighbour so i cant change it.
thanks

hello everyone,
can anyone suggest a plant/ tree that will grow to about 6ft and be bushy enough to block the neighbours. however as i will be removing one patio slab to plant it , the roots will go deep enough and not lift the other slabs.
the problem i have is the neighbours fence is about 4ft and i want some privacy. it will be great if i could plant some plant/tree that will block the patio area.

bamboo. either get a clump forming one or plant it in a large pot with the bottom cut out to contain the roots if its not a clump former. evergreen and dense, excellent screening

thanks Thermo.most appreciated.i suppose i can get this in b and q or homebase.i weill have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back