Concrete fence posts for patio roof?

Sponsored Links
Wooden posts are fine. I built a pergola with 4" treated fence posts concreted into a lawn about 15 years ago. I soaked the posts in wood preserver and gave them two coats of fence treatment.
It's still holding up ok and the posts are fine.

Concrete is heavy, will look crap, be awkward to replace if one gets damaged (concrete posts can crack and spall) and will cost more money overall.

Those metal shoe things are the answer, build a skirt around the base, treated softwood will last up to 10 years and can easily be replaced. Use oak and it should last forever.
Or build a mock brick plinth under it.

Sponsored Links
Strategically place some pots around them if they're so offensive. You can then grow something up it/them as well.
Pair of these back to back might fit?

As said a few posts back, I plan to build a single skin wall on a shallow footing a couple blocks high between the posts to make a boundary for the patio, but I don't think the wall will be substantial enough to bolt the posts to, so they would need to go to the ground.

Make your concrete plinths, then build the wall to them.

Make your concrete plinths, then build the wall to them.
This is what I might do in the end, although making the forms and pouring the plinths would be a bit more work, but then I can also choose the shape. I just wondered if anyone had done it using concrete posts, and if it worked out OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back