concrete fence posts slotted in cavity of wall. good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an idea to slot 8ft concrete slotted fence posts at ground level in the cavity of 600mm high concrete block double skin walls; once slotted in, I'll fill the whole cavity with concrete. I'll then fit 6ft high fence panels above the wall level, so 600mm off the ground.

I'm fairly sure this will create enough mass to overcome any lateral forces from the wind on the fence panels, but I'd like second opinion.

anyone ever done this? the wall is built from heavy concrete blocks

Sponsored Links
so you're putting an 8ft lever into a 2-ft wall, and pushing hard on the lever? yes, that should push your wall over.

the wall is 300mm wide, 8m long and 600mm high, that works out at around 3500kg when its fille solid with concrete. the wall is secured at one end with a buttress wall of 4m, also filled with concrete and at the other by a gate post concrete 2ft below the ground.

I realise we're only talking about knocking it over and not lifting it, and that the width is 300mm (so about 12% of the total height)

hmm...

:confused:

update - yes about 7 years later

OK, so now it's time to take this down since, as a surprise to some - not me, the wind didn't do a very good job of knocking it down. it's coming down as we are changing the garden design. we appear to love creating work for ourselves.

and it's taking some knocking down to be honest. a cheapish breaker from an on-line retailer has helped considerably.

I only mention the update because, for all of the guesswork that was done beforehand, this actually turned out to be very successful. so if you want to install an 8ft fence (6 ft panels on top of a 2ft dwarf garden wall, planning permission granted, of course...) then I'd recommend this approach.

I realise all may not agree, but I do have the proof (well, half of it left to be knocked down - I got tired/bored knocking it down) it's sat in my bomb site/garden

Sponsored Links
Aargh...yes!

Still, they looked nice....albeit for 3 ish years (not 7!)

Actually, I'd do it again. We have to move them now due to a change of access.

We used softwood pressure treated deck boards to create horizontal panelling. In those 3 (THREE) years (not 7!) they did warp quite a bit. It was an experiment and other than using hardwood next time I'd do it again. I used 6ft lengths of galvo angle iron vertically to bolt the deck boards to. The concrete posts and dwarf wall were painted white. The deck boards were stained dark wood.

God, 3 years....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back