Concrete finishes- garden slab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to lay a circular slab 4.2m diameter, maybe 100-125mm thick. The ground below is glacial till, no soil, and IMO doesn't even need a sub base. I built a 1m high circular drystone retaining wall 3-4 yrs ago and it hasn't budged an inch.

The slab will be a recreational area within the walled area, which allows 300mm to the wall around the circumference for a suitable gravel and therefore drainage.

Problem is the concrete finish....I really don't want a floated smooth look- ideally a glass aggregate finish would be perfect but a lot of hassle and effort from what I've seen....a lot to go wrong!

Other option would be to:
A- lay it and expose the aggregate as it goes off with a sponge and hose, or
B- let it go off and then hire a diamond floor polisher/grinder later? Any ideas how the finish would look doing it with one of these- a smooth finish would be good though...

Our local quarry does ballast but it's in pink granite, not the finish either of us want, so maybe I'll do the bulk of the slab(70-80mm) in that in one day and do the finish layer(grey) the next morning, maybe 20-30mm thick. Any advice on doing this is appreciated, especially on keeping the thing as monolithic as possible- maybe coat the first slab in a cement slurry before laying the surface layer, use a retarder?

It's my first attempt at a fairly large area, got it planned out ok and I'll probably be doing the mixing and laying unless I can find a mate to labour with consistent enough mixing skills!

Sponsored Links
You considered pattern imprinting it?

Pretty easy to do and mats can be bought for cheap (or made yourself for even cheaper).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back