Concrete/finlock gutters - issues with join to UPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a mid-terrace house, and since our neighbours replaced their finlock gutters with UPVC we're having issues with water leaking down the external wall where their new gutters are joined to our old finlock ones (we don't have a down-pipe, so ours drains into theirs).

I went up to have a look and the photo shows the connection they have done - what looks like kitchen foil, full of creases and tears. So no wonder it's leaking.
We've contacted several guttering people, but they are only interested in replacing the gutters or relining, not in fixing the actual problem which is the join between the two. We can't afford to have our gutters replaced with UPVC at the moment, and we really weren't having any issues with them until the neighbours had theirs done. We're reluctant to complain and get the neighbours' gutter people to come back as they will just bodge it again.

So my question is, does anyone know how best to join finlock gutters to UPVC to get a good result? I understand that EPDM is possibly the best way forwards, but trying to find out more before possibly attempting this myself. Otherwise, who is likely to be able to do this job without insisting on replacing the whole lot?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• 20220327_174420.jpg
    20220327_174420.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 215
Sponsored Links
Depending on the dimensions, something like this might do the trick?

They have bodged the join with flashband, can't think of any roofer who would take the job on to do a remedial repair as it wouldn't last.

Sponsored Links
Technically, it needs to be a bodge of some sort as a proper connector does not exist. :confused:

It's just down to the perfection of the bodge into a lasting solution!

Perhaps some sort of grinding to set a plastic gutter connector into the concrete and then suitable sealing? And/or properly stuck EPDM over the joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back