Concrete floor issues and foundation help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are just about to complete on a house which needs completely refurbishing and there are a number of jobs we need to sort. The house is an old semi detached solid brick built farm cottage circa 1900.

First issue - Concrete floor -

In one of the ground floor rooms there appears to be an arrear of damp in the concrete floor and the thin wood effect laminate which had been laid straight on to the floor has lifted off (it is glued down elsewhere).

We have been advised that it looks like damp coming up through the floor rather than condensation, but I have read in other forums that it would be unusual for rising damp through the floor to be localised in one place.

We don't know whether there was ever a DPM laid, and I'm pretty sure the concrete floor is newer than the original house.

Does anyone know if it is possible to investigate whether there is a DPM without damaging it if there is one there? Also, if anyone has any advice on the best way to proceed regarding investigating the damp it would be greatly appreciated!

Second issue - Foundations -

At the moment we aren't sure what type of foundation exists for the house. As I said above, I don't think the concrete floor is as old as the house so I doubt it is a slab. However, if it were one solid slab and we end up having to lift the concrete to sort the damp problem, I would be worried about damaging the foundation using power tools. Should I be worried about this or should the smaller jackhammers which we could hire be suitable for this job without too much worry?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
If it is not obvious, there are tests which can be done on the slab to see if it is damp coming up or just on the surface.

Rising damp through a floor slab does tend to be localised. And if it is recent, then drains should be checked too

If it is not obvious, there are tests which can be done on the slab to see if it is damp coming up or just on the surface.

Rising damp through a floor slab does tend to be localised. And if it is recent, then drains should be checked too

Hi again Woody,

okay so localised damp can be rising damp then. That suggests that it either the floor doesn't have a DPM or it is damaged then I guess. Either way, it looks like we might have to lift the concrete to install/replace the DPM. I think we would lose too much head room if we just installed it on top and could risk bridging any DPC in the walls.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back