Concrete floor needs damp proofing and levelling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed bitumen from a concrete floor, they had separated and it came up really easily. The bitumen was anywhere between ½" and 1" thick. The concrete floor appears damp - there is also a huge hole (in the concrete but not through to the earth) which has been filled with grit sand!

I need to level the floor and damp proof it, but with what and in which order and I've only got 1½" max, due to the external doors being low threshold.

I'm not putting in underfloor heating and not tiling - it will be either carpet or laminate finish.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need a liquid DPM (googe it) it's expensive though. You can buy it as 1 coat or 2 coat. 2 coat is slightly better but takes 2 applications. That will damp proof the floor but its only 1mm thick. To raise the height you need a self levelling compound on top, underneath or both!!

I've just removed bitumen from a concrete floor, they had separated and it came up really easily. The bitumen was anywhere between ½" and 1" thick. The concrete floor appears damp - there is also a huge hole (in the concrete but not through to the earth) which has been filled with grit sand!

I need to level the floor and damp proof it, but with what and in which order and I've only got 1½" max, due to the external doors being low threshold.

I'm not putting in underfloor heating and not tiling - it will be either carpet or laminate finish.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back