Concrete floor needs insulation according to EPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologize if this should be in another thread as I couldnt find insulation thread.

We are moving to a home with an existing carpet floor, the plan is to change them to granite floor tiles/timber floor planks. I figured it is a good idea to install a floor insulation as well. Now the problem is, if I choose a thick insulation, it will change level of my floor therefore 1st step on my stairs going up would be lower (not desirable). Is there an insulation thin enough?

The floor in question is the ground floor of a house covering usual receptions and kitchen

Lastly, would that change my EPC even if I do it myself?

Sponsored Links
Unless you're planning to dig up the entire floor and insulate it properly to current standards (which is not advisable on cost and upheaval grounds) then I wouldn't worry. If you're concerned because the EPC recommended floor insulation then don't be - the EPC is generated by software which is based on standard assumptions from Building Regs which were in force at the time your property was built. As an ex-energy assessor I can promise you the effect of your proposals would be minimal.

The relatively small amount of insulation that you could practically install would not make any difference to your comfort levels or energy bills, not to mention the amount of work you would have in shortening doors to clear the extra thickness. Removing carpets in favour of hard surface floor coverings will have a slight detrimental effect on comfort and noise levels but that is your choice.

In short - forget it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back