Concrete H Fence Posts - For Featheredge???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are having drive done soon and before they start work I want to put some feather edge fence up at the side of the house (or at least the posts anyway- the fence can wait till after the drive is done)

We are on lower ground than next door so theres a 2-3ft retaining wall thats owned by next door (theyve just moved in btw) however the wall is in a bit of a mess and is slowly crumbling away

Its bothered us for years and I dont think the new neighbors want to do anything with it just yet as they have enough on anyway - however they are also keen on some privacy too

So the fence option has come up to basically hide the wall for the time being

Ive tried to think what sort of fence would be best but due to parts of it needing about 2.4m in height then featheredge would seem to be the option - considered plastic etc but just not feasible - we dont want all of it that height afterall too - we want to drop down slowly - as the wall essentially does too

Now the issue is the posts - Im not a fan of wooden posts at all - they rot at ground level over time and as the drive is likely to be imprinted concrete i want something fairly permanent

So Ive considered concrete spurs and then wooden posts spurred off that or maybe slightly bigger 1.3m godfather posts again with wooden posts bolted onto them (obviously the wooden post not placed into the ground)

However that seems maybe the expensive option so now considering these H section concrete posts which come in various heights so we can just attach the rails to that and then fence away

Would that work do you think - these H posts are essentially for fence panels but panels just wouldnt work really so will turn these so the H is the wrong way if that makes sense so we can attache the rails onto

thanks for any thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt you get concrete posts with mortice holes?
I think you can also get recessed ones

that way you can fit your arris rails and fix your featheredge.

its called a close boarded fence rather than featheredge

Thanks Ive not seen the morticed ones

However ive come accross the recessed ones in selco - they are a bit expensive - we need 7 posts so its adding up a bit then - but I guess if thats better then so be it - I cant seem to find the mortice ones or recessed ones in many places at all really - so hard getting things delivered these days too - 2 weeks wait at some builders yards in Swansea

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Been trying to find some options locally - Jewsons seem to have the most options but very limted there too - Ive emailed supreme concrete to see if they sell to the public (doubt it) - the H post seems to be available everywhere....however whats added to the options is something I have not considered at all yet - concrete gravel boards - never straight forward - no point trying to rush this

Some concrete posts have through holes.
You could bolt timber on each side
But the costs of the add ons all mount up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back