H profile concrete posts - aggh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make my own featheredge-on-rails fencing. But Not keen on using wooden posts - I'd like to use concrete, but clearly most concrete posts are designed for panels, with their H profile.

Are there any concrete posts with holes for bolts? I'd need 9ft posts (fence is 6ft6). Is there anywhere locally that I might find them? I have found similar stuff online, but there isnt much variety and technical details (position of holes) is sparse! I'd feel much more confident if I could see the posts in person and measure it!

An alternative might be to adapt standard slotted concrete posts. Perhaps some framework in the slots onto which I fasted the rails? Or metal straps around the posts at the height I need fixings? Some kind of clamps? Eventually the featheredge facing will be on both sides (double sided), so appearance of any kind of "bodge" isnt very important!

I dont need gravel boards (though there will be a "sacrificial" piece of featheredge mounted horizontally across the bottom of the fence between the verticals and the ground).

If not, how best to protect wood buried in the ground in concrete? I would be using 4x4 wooden posts. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
How do they fix gates to concrete posts? Something I always wondered!!!

An alternative might be to adapt standard slotted concrete posts.
you are over thinking it. The slotted concrete posts have holes in the middle -presumably used during the the casting process? Just put pressure treated timber in each side of the slot and a couple of long bolts to sandwich the lot together. Then fix your arris rails to those vertical timbers. Or do you mean something different?

Sponsored Links
How do they fix gates to concrete posts? Something I always wondered!!!

I screwed 4x2" wooden batons to mine, using long screws and rawplugs.

You have to be careful with your choice of rawplug and hole/screw diameter though, as there is a risk of splitting/damaging the post.

If you drill through the narrow part of the 'H', you avoid the metal reinforcements in the post.

The gate hinges/fixings can then be screwed into the batons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back