proposed fence design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5.4 metre run.

4 wooden 4x4 posts, evenly spaced (two intermediate and two ends) concreted in.

3 no 100x19mm rails fixed to these posts, top middle and 4 inch from bottom.

Featheredge board running along the bottom as a gravel board to close the gap.

Featheredge boards running vertically the rest of the height.

Finish the top with a featheredge board fixed horizontally atop the posts and vertical members.

I want to finish the outside edge of the fence with 3 lengths of stapled wire to stop anyone nicking the boards. Is this a good idea?

I'm buying 9ft posts to get plenty of depth in the ground. Will use proper concrete, dont trust watering can postcrete.

I'm actually going to get round to doing this soon!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a decent job, probably not the cheapest option but it should look good. Are you going to post some photos of your fence?

Yes I will put photos up.

It needs to be stronger than a normal fence. Its between my garden and an alleyway, and my car will be behind it. It is replacing an old falling-down brick wall, whose foundations will be dug out. The drive will be gravel, and will go over the fence post concrete, so as to allow the posts plenty of drainage. I will float the concrete away from the posts.

I will coach bolt the rails to the posts and nail the featheredge boards.

I'm going to buy the stuff from edecks.co.uk - they are based in Goole, not far from me in Doncaster. I have priced it up at about £180 at the moment, not including concrete or wire. This does include a corner return to a gate post, about 0.8 metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back