Concrete House extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1950s concrete house with a cavity. We want to remove the lower part of the rear wall to open the kitchen up into a new extension. Do we use normal needles like we would for brickwork or is it done a different way on a concrete house? Also once the rsj is in how do you fill between the rsj and the concrete you have cut out? non shrinking grout ?

Sponsored Links
buffydog, good evening.

I have never come across a No-Fines Concrete frame with a cavity and brick outer skin?

If you have a No-Fines house, and I am making an assumption that it is No-Fines??? not a reinforced concrete wall with a cavity and brick skin [which would be a real oddity, the Concrete is more than capable of sustaining the loads?]

I digress, if the Concrete is indeed No-Fines, then this type of wall is notoriously difficult to deal with even trying to get a Rawplug and picture hung on a wall is a nightmare.

If you can be more specific as to the construction then assistance from the board will be forthcoming?

As an aside if you try to cut into No-Fines it is a form of Concrete but is simply crumbles away.

Ken.

Hi
when we are in the loft, it looks like panels of concrete , both inner and outer skins , both approx. 75/90 mm thick , each panel about 750mm square , the outside concrete skin is rendered, would they have been grouted together panels? when drilling either into the outer or inner skins of concrete they are very hard and the backside of the wall normal explodes off !!

Sponsored Links
You need to find out what system it is before knocking it about.

its not an orlit house I think, there are literally loads on our estate and they have extensions,and we all have morgates?

Definitely of 'Non standard construction', often difficult to get a mortgage on these types of property, so you may have been lucky.

I'd firstly be speaking to the neighbours who have got extensions, and asking for names of builders prepared to undertake the work.

Hi ,Thanks for all the answers,after looking through all the stuff from when we bought the house,its description says it is a Laing easi form concrete with render,does that help?

Poured in situ solid concrete with a cavity, apparently. One of the less defective forms of non-traditional construction!

It's likely that your local builders etc will know all about these buildings as they must work on them every day. People here may have less of a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back