Concrete mini tunneling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theres a major northern homebuilder building homes nearby, thy have just started the development and have knocked up 3 townhouses (showhomes) and a garage block (offices).

They are installing rectangular concrete tunnel sections under the ground in various places around the site and burying them quite deep. As far as I know there are no watercourses here, though the site was previously a waterworks and slopes downwards to the access road. It was levelled to a gentle gradient before the homebuilder came on site. Do new estates have service tunnels now for electric, gas etc? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Under the front entrance to the site there are now 3 tunnels across the road. I dont get why so much is needed.

Posted here because it didnt fit anywhere else.

Sponsored Links
Possibly so the road doesn't have to be dug up for access to services in the future.:idea:
A road near us was renewed about a year ago. Completely re done (not this top dressing stuff councils are so fond of) Within 3 months Transco came round and dug a trench straight across the road (apparently planned at least a year before) 6 months later Severn Trent had reason to dig another part of the new road surface up.(yet again, supposedly planned work) Within a year the road looks like it's been down 20 yrs with the amount of patches in it. ;) ;)

Rotherham MBC recently relaid a road through a small outlying town, and promised that there would be no roadworks for 5 years on the new tarmac apart from emergency repairs. There are people trying to build a new small housing estate with access from this road, I bet they are having a ahrd time connecting to services. :LOL:

Doncaster MBC recently surface dressed a road through an outlying village, I questionned this, saying the road had only been totally resurfaced 3 years ago, but they replied saying the dressing was to protect the road surface from erosion and the elements. I said the money could be better spent resurfacing a nearby road which is potholed and subsided. You get thrown all over the place on it. Its been repaired hundreds of times. You know the sort.

Anyway, I agree there should be service space under every new road.

Sponsored Links
Back