Concrete on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Ive dug out loose material from the fireplace in my house and filled with a few inches of concrete. Due to the depth I need to do this in two stages, I have done one layer and need to fill the final few inches to get it level. I understand concrete wont stick to concrete, what can I do. The strength and stability of the concrete is not an issue as I am only filling it to get it level to put a hearth on it.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Laying a few inches of concrete onto already existing concrete will pose no issues, If the concrete underneath is still green you could scutch the top layer off to give you a bond,however, its not structural. If your wanting a super smooth level then you could always pour in self levelling grout.
Regards Otto

Is it going to be used as a fireplace again? If so, self levelling compound is right out, and the thermal issues might cause problems with a thin layer of straight concrete. Be interesting to see what the majority viewpoint on this is.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help, I have two fireplaces, this one will not have any heat as its just for show so I have levelled the concrete so that I can level the hearth. The other will have an open fire, there is already concrete in there will a thick hearth be good enough to stop heat transferring to the concrete below or should I take other precautions?

I'm sure there won't be any problems with what you propose - concrete will stick to concrete no trouble if the surfaces are roughened (keyed) - if you want to help things even more a thin brushed layer of PVA adhesive won't do any harm either.
John :)

Concrete will stick to concrete, but it depends on the depths we are talking about. If you intend to pour less than 2 inch it may not bond that well and shear away after time.
If it is only a few mm out, you could well get your level when you bed your hearth in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back