Concrete or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, down the side of our house we have an alley between us and next door, standard flags running length ways with stones either side up to each house, trouble is my dog will only do her business down her and also likes to deposit on the stones making it hard to clean up, I am wanting to concrete it, how is this done please? How far do I dig down etc? Is it concrete I should use?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, down the side of our house we have an alley between us and next door, standard flags running length ways with stones either side up to each house, trouble is my dog will only do her business down her and also likes to deposit on the stones making it hard to clean up, I am wanting to concrete it, how is this done please? How far do I dig down etc? Is it concrete I should use?

Thanks.
Alleys don't drain all that well even with decent fall, due to water being trapped in and in constant shade, so bear that in mind.

Dig out the stones down to about 2" and fill with concrete (ballast and cement mixed 6:1) and trowel smooth. Screed sand would work just as well seeing as it will be trapped in and yield little traffic (at the edges).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back