concrete or suspended floor in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having a small single story rear extension done to my 1930's semi and wondering what floor type to put down. It still has the original suspended floor so was wondering peoples thoughts on continuing this so all of my new kitchen is the same or just concrete the new part.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You would normally do concrete as first choice, however there are reasons why suspended timber may be more practical.

If you have existing underfloor ventilation that needs to be extended out to the new outside walls then doing timber suspended can make it easier to maintain ventilation. Though the ventilation can be retained with a concrete floor with ducts under the slab. Also if the void is particularly high then (ie 500+) then compacted hardcore may not be the best solution. There may be other site specific reasons why one method should be favoured over the other.

Thanks for the response.

I was wondering whether a suspended floor made it easier for utilities. Getting gas and leccy in the right place etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back