Concrete over fresh slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just poured fresh slab my slip sheet failed and pushed the insulation and mesh up. Instead of ripping it all out I am planning to recast a new 100mm slab on top. Do I need to wait until the original slab is fully cured? Can I get away with something else?

Sponsored Links
The make up was DPM, pir, slip sheet which is basically another DPM but I used tps as its cheaper, a142. The second plastic sheeting is there to stop the concrete getting under the insulation. Unfortunately it slipped under the insulation at one point, just was not watching. So the concrete got under the insulation and it pushes up the pir and started to float so now at one edge the mesh is above formwork level as the insulation has floated to the top.
I call it a slip sheet but in reality in this instance it's not.

Last edited:
Unless it was the actual shoot out of the wagon that caused the problem, It sounds like you are using concrete that is far too wet.

It will be a real pain to break out anyway because of the mesh.

Can you be sure there is no large voids underneath?

Sponsored Links
Can you be sure there is no large voids underneath?
It's SCC so no voids and that's why it's so 'wet'. I am looking to pour on top not dig out. I am fortunate enough to have the height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back