Concrete sectional garage leaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My concrete sectional garage is leaning off the vertical by a good 50mm or 2 inches if you are old school. It's nearing the end of its life, but I'd like to tart it up to get another few years out of it as I have other plans for my funds before a new garage.

Any ideas as to how or if it could be realigned? It is sitting fairly close to the house which makes the lean more noticeable.

One idea I had was to drill a couple of holes through the garage and into the main house wall (pebble dashed 1930's brick) and fit a couple of anchors (mechanical or resin) and a bit of threaded bar. Put a steel plate on the inside and see if I could pull it level.

Good idea or bonkers? Any better ideas? I'm anticipating "knock it down and rebuild" but that is not helpful to me just now.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would not do what you are suggesting. I gather from your idea that the top of the garage is leaning out from the house? Is the other wall of the garage leaning out at the same angle?, i.e. its trapazoidial and has not splayed.
These garages are very robust, more so then the bases I suspect, has the base moved (dropped)?. Do the doors still fit?
In the absence of any more facts, I would carve up some wood as the top and bottom additions to hired-in acroyd props and use them across the diagonals to slowly push the panel supports upright(top at house to bottom away from the house). Once they are upright force some dry mortar mix into all the panel/base joins so as to keep it upright when the props are removed.
Frank

Presumably the base has settled on one side?

Personally, I think trying to pull it right by whatever means is courting disaster;
you don't know the condition of the fixings between the roof and wall panels.
If one side of the base has settled, then if you pull the walls vertical, the connections with the roof will be strained.

If you can't live with it like that, knock it down and re-build it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. It looks slightly trapezoidal as both walls lean similarly. Don't think the base has moved. Looks like the it could have had a knock at some point.

The door looks like it has been fitted with the lean and it works fine.

I think I will move to plan B and look at some form of cladding to level up the front face. Its not noticeable from side view

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back