Repair or replace concrete garage roof beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at renovating my garage in the near future, however I've no idea how serious the cracking in some of the concrete roof beams are.

It's an old concrete sectional garage (no idea how old), and some of the beams have crumbled to the point which the rods are exposed and rusting. I've not had the house that long so no idea how long they've been exposed. See the photos attached, one looks completely out of line.

Is this something that can be repaired? If not are there any other solutions? I'd like to increase the height of the garage so not sure if it's worth just getting the whole roof replaced if this isn't going to be an easy fix.

IMG-3386.jpg
IMG-3387.jpg

Sponsored Links
The first is no longer a concrete beam, it's now a bit of rusted rebar with some concrete lumps still attached. The beam itself will have to be replaced.

The second image is almost as bad, the rebar is rusting inside the concrete and has already started to shatter it.

It's a small point, but the failure is caused by the rusting metal, the effect is to shatter the concrete from the inside.

Neither of the beams will be repairable, the only questions are can they be replaced without demolishing the entire garage and how long before the entire thing collapses (half an hour or twenty years).

If two bits have gone there's a good chance the rest are going too. I'd plan for a new roof, and I hope you've checked to make sure it's not asbestos above it? It was very popular for garage roofs at one point.

Thanks for the reply, thought that might be the case.

Would seem a bit pointless fitting out the garage nicely only for the roof to collapse at some point, so I think I'll address the roof first.

Yes it is asbestos, but I'll not be replacing the roof myself I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back