Concrete slab in loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about buying a house and the home report references a concrete slab in the loft space. The house has living room and bedroom with an entrance area from front door and smalller bedroom between them. The concrete slab is above the smaller bedroom and looks to cover the whole space, around 2.5m x 3.6m and is around six to eight inches thick. Has anybody ever seen anything similar and of so what is the reason for it. The home report asks for a structural survey to be done.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Some background context might help. Is it a Barrett house in the middle of an estate or a one off 1950/60s 8 bed detached. Or what?

It's a detached bungalow built in 1910 on the edge of a small town, two properrties beside it are similar so the obvious thing is to ask the owners. Only one a has sold over the last 50 years so there's not really been any need for structural surveys.

OK, seems like the sort of thing that might have been built in by a one-off self builder. I was thinking possible nuclear bunker room - probably not in 1910. Maybe secure room? It would be interesting to know if the other properties have the same? And, as you say, one of the other long term residents may know the background?

Sponsored Links
Early panic room? Would have said it was some form of bunker (probably would have crushed the occupiers in the event) or a rendition room :censored:

Old outside toilet which has been roofed over and incorporated into the house

The comments about it being a shelter room are possible as I found a website with instructions. Needs more investigation so will have a structural survey done. I'm concerned as although we don't have many sizeable earthquakes I wouldn't like to be under it.

It's been an outside toilet or coal cellar. Bomb shelters were outside in the garden ww2.

This is inside the house. You go through front door into entrance area with three doors, living room to the left, bedroom to the right, with smaller bedroom in the middle. It's the small bedroom in the middle that has the concrete ceiling.

Could it have had a water/fuel tank in the past? it may have been converted from a workshop or similar.

Cottage, one of three in that area that have been occupied as long as I've known about them. Next time I go over I'll try to speak to the neighbours to see if they have the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back