Concrete Slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on making a concrete slab tomorrow to form the base of a new shed.

Temperatures overnight are forecast to drop to -2° C. Am I likely to cause a curing/freezing problem as the concrete sets or will it be fine if I cover it with a couple of sheets and some polythene over the top?

Sponsored Links
I would wait, It's not worth the risk

If it was forecast to be 1 or 2 maybe but -2 is quite a hard frost and its going to go off so slow this time of year you'll struggle to get bleed water off it before having to slap covers on and it'll leave an awful finish on it.

If you do go ahead use more than polythene, use something insulating like cardboard/ old carpet/ hessian etc.

I went ahead and protected the new stuff with some old carpet.

For what it is worth I am an idiot who bought a 6x8 shed to go on a 5x7 base so I only had a to build up a 12 inch wide L shaped to extend the base. The finish doesn't matter that much as it will be hidden.

Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back