Concrete thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to lay a slab of concrete to form base for garden shed thing.

Was going to insert some steel straps to attach uprights to.

Problem is they are going to be a bit close to the edge and was wondering best way to reinforce so as the edge doesnt easily snap off

Attached Diagram, the red thing would be the steel.
middle drawing - I could create a deep bit under the strap ?

or Bottom drawing, coil some galvaised fence wire and put round strap in the concreate in hope to reinforce ?

x-Concrete-1992.jpg

what do you think, how would the professionals do this ? (and I don't mean Bodie & Doyle)
do I do both or is there a better way?

(Been on the home brew, just to explain if thread makes no sense)

Sponsored Links
I’d use some galvanised builders metalwork - say multi perforated 50 x 6mm thick - and bend a right angle maybe 100mm from one end....and lay that in the raft as you pour the concrete, so the bent length points inwards.
John :)

stop the wooden structure slipping off the edge - is there a better way

I’d use some galvanised builders metalwork - say multi perforated 50 x 6mm thick - and bend a right angle maybe 100mm from one end....and lay that in the raft as you pour the concrete, so the bent length points inwards.
as per my middle drawing ? would you bother with the extra amount of concrete under that bit ?
And yes it is the galvanised straps (50x6) that I'm using

Sponsored Links
I guess it depends on how thick you propose your raft to be....but for sure, some more depth at the corners does no harm.
Shed bases often have internal brackets to hold them down anyway - or at least some screws through the bottom side timbers.
Can you allow for plenty ventilation to the shed underside? I blocked mine up with chick wire to prevent leaves / frogs or whatever getting underneath.

If you are doing that then you need reinforcing mesh in the slab as well. Your fixings need to be 'inside' the reinforcing.

I guess it depends on how thick you propose your raft to be....but for sure, some more depth at the corners does no harm.
Shed bases often have internal brackets to hold them down anyway - or at least some screws through the bottom side timbers.
Can you allow for plenty ventilation to the shed underside? I blocked mine up with chick wire to prevent leaves / frogs or whatever getting underneath.
Not really a shed, It will have a concrete floor - hopefully it will be a rather odd looking summerhouse in a shady place, dout it will be ever used but might look intiguing on a gloomy day with some lights on, and may be a large bell inside that occasionally goes dong - LOL
here is my cardboard mock up, door to be arranged, roof may need to be pointier.
x-Shed-1999.jpg

If you are doing that then you need reinforcing mesh in the slab as well. Your fixings need to be 'inside' the reinforcing.
what is reinforcing mesh ? would that be better than a coil of fence wire ?

we're on top of a hill, gets a bit windy, stuff needs tied down.

Can't you just put a few stainless screws around the edge of the base into the concrete?

90 x 90mm angle plate fixed to the face of the concrete with screws and plugs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back