Concreting in fence post.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When concreting in wooden fence post should the top of the concrete be above or below ground level, I’ve been given contradictory advice.

Sponsored Links
to be honest I've no idea, but I recon that any soil will hold moisture against the wood and speed up the rotting process..
if the concrete is above / level with the ground and angled away from the post, then any water on it should run off fairly quickly..

doesn't really make a great deal of difference, more comes down to asthectics

This is probably why I’ve got conflicting advice, I’ll probably go for aesthetics as it seems to make little difference. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally the concrete is below the frost line, to keep it from cracking/falling apart.

I always set my posts in, with the top of the concrete at least 8 inches below the surface.

in my humble opinion the concrete should be above ground level ! yes concrete is a bit pourus and will hold some water but it is nowhere near as damp as wet soil which will inevitably/eventually cause the wood to act like a wick and soak up water which will in turn make it rot faster. this will not be a short term problem for treated wood but as the wood ages it will become more of an issue. sure this may only make your treated wood last a couple of years longer but in my opinion it is worth it since it costs pennies to do. also remember to make the concrete at an angle which allows the water to run down the post and away to the surrounding soil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back