concrete posts for wood fence..?

S

snadge

our lass wants to use concrete posts similar to ones below for putting up a fence, two horizontal latts across them with the vertical boards over those.

The concrete posts are designed for sliding in boards...

think they will be ok/best to use for what we want? she says people are using them because they dont rot and you dont have to haul them out of the concrete in ground as you would wooden ones, I just thought I would check here for advice, if they are ok? if so, what is best way to fix the wood to the concrete?

something like these:
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...oncrete-Post-6-Pack-H-2-36m-x-W-90mm-10767861

thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem with using them, but they are totally unforgiving in the way that they need to be absolutely plumb vertical, and the spacing between them exact - so have timber laths to the correct length standing by, and a good chalk line to keep them in line.
Being reinforced, they don't cut too easily so the hole depth needs to be the same for each one.
The timber bearers slot into the grooves, so there's no real need to drill for fixings - again, being reinforced often means the drill hits the rebar in any case.
John :)

Over 20 quid each?....you gotta be joking ....get yourself down to your nearest fencing supplier / company and ask their advice .
In my opinion a good quality Tanalised post will do the job . easier to use and cheaper & should last you at least 10 -15 years depending on timber species avoid spruce posts at all costs.
Avoid the warehouse stores their stuff is usually overpriced and of an inferior quality too.

ok , thanks for the advice guys,

@ Burnerman - we are not putting in the 'slide in' type panels... just a standard wooden fence but with those as the posts instead of wood ones.. you mention the drill will have trouble...sounds like a bad idea then..

I dunno where theres a Timber Yard around here (Blaydon)

thanks

Sponsored Links
tried these guys ?

quay timber 0191 224 0494

Or these guys who are a bit away from you but they are among the best in the country.

http://www.peartfencing.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

thanks fencer35 :) , I will give Quay Timber a ring at some stage, we arent getting them yet, it was just in prep - glad I asked cos we would have just bought the concrete ones... she has read of people using for the same type of fence were building.. maybe they werent re-inforced with steel?

thanks

have you already bought the panels? if not then why are you wanting to use the wrong kind, these posts are really designed to have the panel slide in down the track and will probably look a bit daft otherwise.

you can drill concrete posts, but there will be rebar in there somewhere otherwise they would probably fall apart when you carry them horizontally

have you already bought the panels? if not then why are you wanting to use the wrong kind, these posts are really designed to have the panel slide in down the track and will probably look a bit daft otherwise.

you can drill concrete posts, but there will be rebar in there somewhere otherwise they would probably fall apart when you carry them horizontally

no its not panels, its standard wooden fence were gunna build, but she wants to use concrete posts, she has read somewhere of people using them cos they last longer and your not trying to get wooden posts out (when replacing in 15 years time) that are concreted in.. i dunno where she has read this, Iam just asking.. I would prefer wood because I think it would look better and be easier to work with

concrete posts are far better. If you have ever had to dig up a wooden post that has rotted, you will resolve never to use them again.

they can be treated with dark brown masonry paint to help them blend in with the stained wood.

View media item 975
View media item 977

@ JohnD - yes they look spot on, think we will just go for those then, have to find some good price ones

ok , thanks for the advice guys,

@ Burnerman - we are not putting in the 'slide in' type panels... just a standard wooden fence but with those as the posts instead of wood ones.. you mention the drill will have trouble...sounds like a bad idea then..

I dunno where theres a Timber Yard around here (Blaydon)

thanks

You may like to consider Stan Dawson mate - on the Prudhoe industrial estate.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back