condensafe acid neutralisers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know whether boiler condensate can now go into a rain water drain provided one of these acid netralising devices is fitted?

Sponsored Links
It can go into a rainwater drain if its a single combined drainage system.

If not then if the acid is neutralised then it could go into a soakaway. I have yet to see a commercially made "in line" neutraliser but I could build one!

If its a district rainwater drain then I dont know but would doubt it because they often discharge into rivers where fish live.

Tony

I thinks it's a storm drain. My soil pipe is in line with it but think they are probably seperate. Is there any easy way to find out?

I thought that these condensafe neutralisers restore the ph back to 7 so wouldn't harm the environment and could safely go into a rain water only drain. A real shame if they can't.

It was common to have combined drainage before 1958 but it varied from area to area and between developments.

The only way to check is to lift inspection chamber covers and see if they pass toilet flushes and rainwater in the same pipe. If not then its probably seperate.

There are chemicals in the condensate which I would not expect would be allowed into rivers. But I dont know!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
It was common to have combined drainage before 1958 but it varied from area to area and between developments.

The only way to check is to lift inspection chamber covers and see if they pass toilet flushes and rainwater in the same pipe. If not then its probably seperate.

There are chemicals in the condensate which I would not expect would be allowed into rivers. But I dont know!

Tony

You're probably right. Gonna try my luck and see if i can get a non condenser installed. This is far too complex and expensive for me to have a condensing one. The flue would be a nuisance anywhere but the roof but my roof joists are no where near strong enough to carry two people and a boiler up in the loft. Plus my roof tiles are 50 years old! No one's messing with them!

I would not recommend a non condensing boiler as that will probably not be permissable as an exclusion and will give you problems when selling. Quite apart from the efficiency saving.

There should be no reason why the condensate cannot be routed into your foul drains via your bathroom or kitchen waste fittings or externally.

Tony

Agile said:
I would not recommend a non condensing boiler as that will probably not be permissable as an exclusion and will give you problems when selling. Quite apart from the efficiency saving.

There should be no reason why the condensate cannot be routed into your foul drains via your bathroom or kitchen waste fittings or externally.

Tony

surely the law of supply and demand stands here. If i have it fitted, the corgi would of filled in the paperwork to state I've got a non condensing and it's permissable. If i have issues selling i'd be surprised but I could always offer the couple who really want my house the option of having the boiler removed before they buy thus cancelling the problem out? I'm willing to bet the couple won't have an issue, only the red tape government will. No authority can stop me selling my house regardless of whether I have goverment waffle information pack documents or not.

I could always have it installed and not notify and then claim years later it was installed but the fitter obviously didn't notify, forgotten who it was etc, didn't know I had to etc. How would they prove otherwise?

I'll get off my soapbox now! ;)

Screw fix sell them about £27 and as far as i am aware after chat with water board man it allows connection to rain water drain....It will tell tou in the instuctins if it needs changing or is lifetime

plumbs and pts sell condensafe neutralizes the ph and says makes it safe must be changed once a year and be a metre away from the boiler. £20ish + vat

Do you know if it allows the condensate once neutralised to go into a rain water only drain?

My foul and rain water drains are seperate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back