Condensate pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be refitting the kitchen and want to make provision for a condenser boiler to be installed at some time in the future. The boiler will not be installed in the kitchen but in the neighbouring room, replacing the 18 year old Ideal Elan 2 that is currently there. That room has no easy access to the waste system but the kitchen does, at least while it is being refitted. So I want to make a condensate drain available now so that the CORGI installer can make use of it some time down the line.

What form would such a drain take? Overflow pipe? Flexible plastic pipe? I will be fitting a standpipe nearby for a water softener that will be directly connected to the stack via a P-trap. What would be the best way to connect into it?

Sponsored Links
Up to 3M in length, you can use overflow pipe, but if space is plentiful I would recommend fitting 32MM waste.

With this you could even have an ATAG fitted later ;)

Up to 3M in length, you can use overflow pipe, but if space is plentiful I would recommend fitting 32MM waste.

With this you could even have an ATAG fitted later ;)

Sorry to hijack the post. Is an Atag boiler the one to go for? Need to replace my boiler this year.

Personally I would say it is the best and most reliable boiler on sale in the UK at present. Also comes with a 5 year warranty.

Downside is they are a bit bulky to fit in a Kitchen for example, where it would be on show all the time, but they do look good as well though.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would say it is the best and most reliable boiler on sale in the UK at present. Also comes with a 5 year warranty.
Id go further to say thats been the case with Atag boilers before they even opened a head office in the UK in 2003 when part L changed things. My first Atag install was in 1997 and that unit is still functioning as good as day one. Says a lot about the build quality.

Up to 3M in length, you can use overflow pipe, but if space is plentiful I would recommend fitting 32MM waste..

thats news to me! why are you saying that dave? btw I think the 5 year parts/labour thing is only for a limited time before going back to 5 parts/2 labour.

I have always been taught on various course that only 3M of overflow should be used :confused:

Is this incorrect?

I assume you mean this part of the sentence :confused:

I assume you mean this part of the sentence :confused:

Maybe I misread. I thought you meant you could only install an Atag if the condensate was 32mm diameter.

As far as I am aware ATAG's do have to have 32mm condensate, fitted via a tundish under the outlet on the boiler.

I was told at the training this was the case, I assumed it to be because the condensate doubles up on these as the PRV discharge, all in one off the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back