Condensate

M

marsaday

I have a vaillant combi and it has just been moved about a meter as i am converting the attic. the condensate has not been plumbed into the stack yet, put is poking through the wall.

I have just realised i could easily plumb it into the soil stack internal as the boiler is sat 1m away from the toilet (divided by a wall).

1) how do i undo the condensate trap to free it up so i can pull it back through the wall. do i need to drain down for this ?

2) how do i connect it up to the toilet outlet ? the soil stack will come through the wall the normal amount and i will then fit a flexible soil pipe to it. where would i put the overflow pipe here ?

Sponsored Links
2) how do i connect it up to the toilet outlet ? the soil stack will come through the wall the normal amount and i will then fit a flexible soil pipe to it. where would i put the overflow pipe here ?
If the overflow for the flush is internal ie water goes into the pan rather than through the wall, pipe the condensate straight into the toilet cistern at the top. Then you can drop the level of the toilet fill and let the condensate top it up. If it overflows into the toilet, no problem.

You won't need to drain down to remove the condensate trap. As for how to remove it, this rather depends on what boiler you have

Sponsored Links
In that case removing the condensate trap won't help you much, as it won't move the pipe fitting. You'd have to take the casing off and remove gubbins from inside, but this is complicating things unnecessarily

The pipe will, depending on your installer, either be fitted to the trap outlet using a push-fit friction fitting, or glued into place. If it's the former you'll be able to pull it off once you've cut the pipe running to outside. If it's the latter you'll almost certainly need a new trap assembly, unless you can manage to unstick it without causing damage.

It's not good practice to put condensate into a soil stack..most manufacturers don't recommend it! I personally would avoid it!

Boll#x the only thing about soil stacks was if they where cast iron then its should be below a level that regularly gets water passing by

Boll#x the only thing about soil stacks was if they where cast iron then its should be below a level that regularly gets water passing by

Here are 2 pics showing the condensate pipe. It is just poking through the wall and is not connected to anything. it vents onto the drive. i am moving the soil stack and so dont want to drill into it, until i connect up the new toilet.

I suppose the easiest thing for me is to cut the pipe before it elbows off through the wall and stick a new elbow onit and run it into the toilet which will be under the window on the right. For now i will collect the condensate in a bucket.

View media item 28905
View media item 28906

For every litre you collect, you've saved 0.63 kWh (about 2p) by having a condensing boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back