Condensation - concrete prefab + metal roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me solve my problem.

I have a garage, detatched, which is a large structure which will hold 5 cars. It's concrete on the walls and has a metal roof, with that anti drip membrane.

Today I've noticed a car I recently bought has a lot of condensation on it, it seems since the tempreture has risen from being so cold, everything metal is wet to touch.

How can I help solve this problem please, there is airflow but its more towards to top of the garage(around the roof area gaps) rather at the base of the garage.

Many thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Unless you form a proper air conditioned garage, like people do for vintage or prestige cars, then you will not stop condensation in this type of garage

The normal responses you will get will be to insulate the roof and walls and ventilate, but this still wont stop it in a garage

Okay thanks, What's the best bet?

so do i try and block off the air flow and buy a dehumidifier?

Or increase air flow big time?

Sponsored Links
TBH, I don't know!

You can park your car out in the street and it will get condensation. You can park it in the garage and you can get condensation

You can seal the garage up and get condensation, you can vent it and let the cold outside air in ... and get condensation.

A five bay garage is a big area to keep at constant, even temperatures and levels of humidity, and I think that the only successful way will be to insulate, seal gaps and have a suitable mechanical ventilation or dehumidification system

The alternative may be a nice quality wax and some Rain-X to bead condensation off the car

Thank you.

Would having fans moving the air in the garage around help with this, even if you're moving the 'humid' air around?

Thanks,

Jon

I don't think fans would help - all they will be doing is moving moist air around.

The garage will still be cold, and will still have lots of cold surfaces for air to condense on

Read up on the principles of condensation and prevention - but bear in mind that most advice relates to heated properties, and you have a cold unheated draughty garage

Thanks again,

I'm at a loss here, I know what causes condensation, the warm air hits the cold surface and that causes the water to run off the car.

I've looked at dehumidifiers but they're £200 and 500-700 watts!, so they'd cost a fortune to run.

Any further ideas please?

I think I covered it in post #2, first sentence, but see what other ideas are posted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back