Condensation Damp/Air Brick Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i own a 19th century downstairs flat and it is suffering from condensation damp/mould due to no or lack off air flow in the property.

I am looking at installing a couple of Ultrovent Core Ventilator's (core air bricks)

I just have a couple of questions

1.Which rooms would be the best to install them?

2.Would it be best to install them in the top corner of a room?

3.How many would anybody suggest installing? do you think 2 (1 at the front of the building and 1 at the rear of the building would help circulate air flow?

I already have an extractor fan fitted in the bathroom but i might upgrade that if anybody knows of a powerful one they can suggest.

Thanks in advance Steve

Sponsored Links
Air vents would typically go 300mm in from a corner and 300mm down from a ceiling.

But curing your condensation issue will not be as simple as installing two air vents and trying to create air movement. There are no preferred rooms nor preferred elevations, but normally every room should have some form of constant ventilation - but that in itself my not be the solution

You need to look at the other issues of heating and insulation and production of moisture, and not ventilation in isolation

Cheers Woody

I have had 2 companies look at the property first said there's no air movement try a new extractor fan in the bathroom and a couple of air bricks/vents the other suggested a positive pressure unit to pump air around the flat.its caused down to the current tenants living situation my 2 last set of tenants had no problems like this,i dont think they ever open windows and dry all their washing on the radiators.

Sponsored Links
if it's going to be rented, you could hide one behind the kitchen units which will take the tenants longer to find and block it.

What are the windowframes made of?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back