condensation I think from extractor fan....fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Realise similar has been covered before but thought I would just check it out first.

Our upstairs WC has an extractor fan which is ducted out vertically through the attic. It's dripping water through the fan opening which I'm guessing will be condensation?
I've attached a photo of the vertical pipe coming up from the WC and out through the roof, it seems dry on the outside of the pipe, cobwebs, no streaks etc so I'm guessing the flashing round the outside is okay, so back to condensation.

Do you think it would be enough just to lag the pipe with insulating material or is there something else I should be doing?

See attached photo and thanks again in advance
Steve

ps: the long horizontal pipe just links into another fan in a nearby en suite in case you were wondering!

Attachments

• 20231213_093941.jpg
    20231213_093941.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
It happens quite often and whilst insulation will likely reduce the quantity of condensation produced, it doesn't always eliminate it, so it's a good idea to have a condensate trap to catch and remove it. There's an example here Condensate Trap The trap should be in a vertical section of the duct at the lowest point, so that it catches any condensation that does run back towards the fan.

1702464452411.png

Each fan should have its own outlet. Because the airflow from each will never be balanced perfectly meaning one will take precedence over the other and if only one fan is running the extracted air could take the easier route back into the house through the fan that isn't operating rather than up the stack.

Last edited:
It will be a good start. Also run it for longer.

Is there a rain cap on the top of the pipe?

Sponsored Links
It will be a good start. Also run it for longer.

Is there a rain cap on the top of the pipe?

Yes there is a rain cap. Problem with that WC is we tend to only use it during the night and then we don't put the light on (I sit, my aims not that good!) so the extractor fan rarely turns on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back