Extractor ducting condensation run off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On vertical ducting for a shower room extractor fan fitted with a condensation trap, any (sensible and practical please) suggestions on where to run the condensation pipe ? obviously not directly into soil stack due to fumes etc. Whats your practical experience guys as I have not seen this type of trap fitted before.

Sponsored Links
Thanks nstreet. Was thinking that the lower on the vertical pipe the trap is fitted the better which puts it level with the soffit, but thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
You CAN just provide a container to collect the run off, (like they do at the back of a fridge!) cos you don't get very much and it evaporates between showers. Have put one of these in a stud wall, checked with a wee spy hole, which got filled later.

Was that like the spyholes Norman Bates used to make in the Motel walls :eek:

Thank you guys. Think I'll go with running it to the stack through a u bend which I'll prime with water so no smells whilst waiting for enough condensation to fill the bend. Thanks kevplumb.

I'm afraid a trap in the condensate pipe will dry out if condensate flows aren't sufficient. As ChrisR says, there won't be much condensate. You could probably run it through an external wall like an overflow pipe.

The poster was intending to run condensate pipe into soil stack, with trap to block smell from soil stack. Need I say more?

Bit of a sledgehammer on a peanut but you could use a Hepv0 trap - they're closed all the time, no need for water.

The container I spied on collected no more than a few drops of water, & that was on about 7m of ducting!

Why is a condensate trap required in a vertical duct? Surely the wetness that does condense out of the air stream will run down the duct wall and fall back into the shower enclosure.

PTH said:
Why is a condensate trap required in a vertical duct? Surely the wetness that does condense out of the air stream will run down the duct wall and fall back into the shower enclosure.

Assuming that the run is vertical with no bends ;)

My fan inlet is right above the shower. I would NOT like it to drip water !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back