Condensation in a uk terraced house with slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been helping my brother in law with his mid terraced house, he has had bad water penetration in between his and the adjoining house

We stripped off his roof tiles, re felted and battened and the problem is still there

He gets damp signs and sitting water on his outside wall, and today checked his loft and it had streaks of water!

The roof is 100% ok and I am a bit frustrated!

Could it be condensation, just that it is quite a bit of water

Help please

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Is there enough ventilation in the loft?
Is there enough insulation? Should be 270mm?
Does the bathroom have an extractor fan?
Does the wife dry clothes on the radiators?

Andy

I also found this from John D:

This seems to be the time of year for condensation in lofts, so instead of replying to lots of queries I though I would write this "one-size-fits-all" post. Please add other suggestions and I will polish it up for the Wiki or Sticky. Please also see //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Condensation in lofts occurs when the amount of water vapour rising in the loft exceeds the capacity of the loft ventilation to remove it.

Water vapour is lighter than air so it will tend to rise up through the house until something stops it.

So one or both of the following applies: (1) Excessive water vapour load and/or (2 )inadequate ventilation

Common causes are:

Excessive water vapour in house due to occupants draping wet washing about the house or over radiators. Cure: Stop doing it

Excessive water vapour in bathroom due to occupants not using an extractor fan until the room is dry (including the towels). Cure: Use an extractor

Excessive leakage into loft due to hole in ceilings, e.g. downlighters, pipes into loft, ill-fitting loft hatch. Cure: Seal the holes

Plumbing faults causing tanks in loft to contain hot or warm water, and/or water tanks without tight-fitting lids Cure: Ask the plumbers

Leaking roof or plumbing dripping into loft

Bathroom extractor fan duct has become disconnected from the fan so the warm damp air from the bathroom is being blown into the loft.

Eaves ventilation blocked by loft insulation. Cure: Pull back the insulation a few inches and cut it so it can't flop back

Inadequate ventilation since house was built. Cure: Cut soffit vents or hire a core-drill to make hole in gable walls. Or a roofer can fit tile or ridge vents (warning: unskilled roof work may cause leaks)

Older house where roof was originally not felted (so was ventilated by gaps between tiles) but a new roof has been fitted. Cure: As above

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1080717#1080717#ixzz1edGDY2rk

Sponsored Links
he has had bad water penetration in between his and the adjoining house

He gets damp signs and sitting water on his outside wall

So there is 2 sources of ingress/condensation.

can you post some pics?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back