Condensation In Attic! Like never before.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Compared to what we had a while ago it was nothing, now the entire attic's felt is dripping wet. Not joking, it is drenched. I lately placed down a second layer of floor insulation where the water droplets first started appearing from, then I spotted that a tile was missing felt, so I used the insulation to cover that up.

I then noticed the wall was getting damp again and our dehumidifier was getting very full. I went up today and cut squares in a few of the felt walls to relief it.

We don't have a huge budget maybe £30-40 but really need to do something. Will the exposed tile cause harm? I need some real help. We are at the point of where we are even thinking getting rid of the house because we are at the last point..

Please..

Sponsored Links
Am having trouble picturing the layout of your attic but sounds like you have serious condensation issues caused by complete lack of air circulation. Does the insulation cover the eaves and thereby stop air passing through to ventilate the space?

More info on layout and pictures would be helpful.

Are there no existing vents then or have they been blocked up? If they are blocked then clear them. Of all the condensation issues in a house this has to be one of the easiest to solve, if no existing vents in the first instance get some timber wedges or similar and shove them in the laps of the felt to create some open vents in the felt, they need to go in as low down as possible and opposite sides of the roof. the following pic illustrates how these work (although they are near the ridge with insulation at rafter level in the pic but the principle is the same).

Shove plenty in and monitor.

Is your heating vent pipe tipping hot water into the feed/overflow tank?

Sponsored Links
Hi! Basically no air vents, the felt is old.. 15 years old. They look as if there were used to be vented open but not any more. I will get pics, one second.

7EPZ1pZ.jpg

See how bad it is?

wNMElUY.jpg

So no eaves vents then? You won't be able to see these from the inside without looking right into the eaves.

does anybody drape wet washing around your house?

If there are definitely no existing vents and nothing else pumping excessive moisture into the loft space then you should try the gettaround in the third post in this thread.

I have opened up a few spots in the felt and so I will have to see how that goes. If not, it could very well be good bye to this house. I have no idea how to contact in the Cirencester area for this problem. Or even the cost of the job.. Seems like it would cost hundreds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back