Attic renovation project, the starting stages.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, little information on the attic below.

This house was built 'back in the day' and may I add, it was built too quickly so we were left with jobs to do.

We bought this house for £56,000 - and we now know why.

The attic has been completely neglected. The felt has been completely stripped and slabs are bare. Floor insulation is barely there. The only ventilation inside is the bare slabs on the roof.

We have excessive mold on the ceiling to the point where you cannot tell what color the ceiling is meant to be.

What we are going to be doing.

Add felt over the bare tiles
Adding 'Up to standard' floor insulation
Add Plywood 10mm flooring to the attic
Add ventilation to reduce condensation
Add aqueduct lighting to the attic (Waterproof)

Hopefully the cost shouldn't be too bad and we can get this done within January. We will post pictures tomorrow and the progress we make. Anyone that would like to donate or suggest tools or materials, would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think you are getting ?? replies because you do not add felt over tiles, you add it underneath it.
Which means removing the tiles and batons, felting then re baton and tiling. (You may be able to leave batons on - not sure.)

And if you insulate then place boarding over it - it will not be upto "standard".

Is this attic intended to be a usable room or just attic storage?

And why the waterproof lighting up there? If you felt it and with tiles on top - this should make it water resistant.

I think you are getting ?? replies because you do not add felt over tiles, you add it underneath it.
Which means removing the tiles and batons, felting then re baton and tiling. (You may be able to leave batons on - not sure.)

And if you insulate then place boarding over it - it will not be upto "standard".

Is this attic intended to be a usable room or just attic storage?

And why the waterproof lighting up there? If you felt it and with tiles on top - this should make it water resistant.

The waterproof light is incase of any future unplanned catastrophe, the last thing I want is a fire. It's intended for just storage use. I can ensure you that laying down fiberglass then plywood over the top is up to the british standard.

I know what I am doing, don't worry.

If you know what you are doing then why are you making "sounds like you dont know what you are doing" comments about the roofing felt prompting lots of ?????

Boarding over insulation is not what the ??? are all about here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back