Attic is worrryingly damp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our attic is well ventilated with slotted plastic strips in the soffits, which are clear of insulation material. Both upstairs bathrooms have bathroom type halogen ceiling lights but I bet some moisture is finding its way up around them especially as we don't have extractors but just open a window after a shower. We are drying quite a lot of stuff in the house at the moment thanks to the generally wet weather and having an incontinent granny staying. The attic is usually a little damp, even damp enough for mould to grow on some rush chair seats I had up there, but at the moment with all the washing and the wet weather it's really worryingly damp. There's no sign of condensation on the felt though and no leaks.

Now here's my question: we have an Aga so all the cooking fumes and steam go up the flue, which is SS twinwall going vertically up through both floors, through the attic and out of the roof. This is hidden inside a duct I built round it on the first floor and is closed by a SS plate at the kitchen ceiling inside the hood above the Aga but open where it comes out of the first floor. When it was installed, I packed glass wool around it where it comes up through the attic floor so as to discourage an updraft inside the duct. I've thought about hiring a dehumidifier but I reckon they are heavy and will be difficult to get through the attic hatch and will cause vibration so it struck me that if I temporarily remove the insulation that's packed around the twinwall flue, it will encourage more warm air to flow upwards into the attic. As I wrote, we generally start stuff boiling on the Aga hobs then move it inside the top oven so cooking moisture goes up inside the flue and not into the room. Generally the house is dry and warm.

Good idea or crap idea?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
we don't have extractors but just open a window after a shower. We are drying quite a lot of stuff in the house

so you are doing the two things guaranteed to cause excessive humidity in your home.

Water vapour is lighter than air so it naturally rises through the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back