Attic Issues, please help. Pictures included.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - You have probably seen my previous threads but I need some help. Let me explain quickly the problem which made me go up and investigate the attic.

The entire upstairs of the house has suffered from SERVER mold. It keeps coming back so we thought it must be dampness inside the attic somewhere.

I lifted up the fiberglass on the floor of the attic to find patches of damp. You know when you spill coffee and it makes rings of shapes of coffee stains? Kind of like that. The attic is really moist, you can see moisture on the insulation dripping off.

I have already done the following actions, insulated the floor of where the fiberglass was obviously damp. But where the floor dips into the attic I cannot insulate, and I think the wood is damp (There isn't any insulation at all there.. I think that's where all the damp is coming from)

What shall I do? Any idea?
iW2kcR1.jpg

8iMmeUv.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your problem is more than likely ventilation, or the lack of. What ventilation is there at the eaves? And is it blocked by the plasterboard you seem to have between the rafters?

Your problem is more than likely ventilation, or the lack of. What ventilation is there at the eaves? And is it blocked by the plasterboard you seem to have between the rafters?

to be perfectly honest, no idea. There really doesnt feel like there are any ventilation as it is stuffy. What can I do to add ventilation? Should I add a fan?

Well for a start you can slide something gently between the laps in your felt as that felt is terrible for condensation, I would also suggest over fascia vents or similar.

Sponsored Links
[

I will redo the walls with ThermaWrap to improve it.

Don't waste your time and money on that stuff, or any foil-faced product - it's worse than ueless.

Never mind that "the vents look difficult to install". Difficult or not, it's adequate ventilation you need, as you have already been advised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back