condensation in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lot of condensation in the attic. I am sure it is from the f&e tank, as the polystyrene cover is saturated. I am worried something is overheating. what are the likely causes please?

Sponsored Links
heating pumping over, either blockage somewhere or pump speed too high.

With the system running you need to watch the tank and check if warm water is coming from expansion pipe, thats the pipe looped over the tank. If it is then it's as my learned colleague has suggested, and will require some remedial work.

The feed and expansion tank is going to get warm which will turn to condensation when it hits the cold lid (if that's what you mean by polystyrene cover). Has the lid got a good fit on the tank? Is the water in the f/e tank boiling hot?

Sponsored Links
Is your CWSC for your hot water cylinder in your loft aswell?
Do you use your immersion to heat your hot water?
Just another suggestion.

The water in the tank is warm. I have not seen any water coming from the expansion pipe, but I will monitor it at different times of the day. The lid is just made from polystyrene (lightweight packing material) it doesn't fit well, and it has been that way for 25 years or more, its totally saturated like a sponge holding water, have never had this problem before.

If there is condensation over most of loft and you have good insulation up there, you may need some roof vents. Something like a Lapvent or Easyvent should be diyable.

Are your eaves vents clear?

Take a picture, much easier to see what is going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back