Condensation in between double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although our windows are pretty old (25 years maybe) they very nice cosmetically but have just started to lose their seal and have moisture in between the two panels. It's unsightly ,and I guess that means they are not as efficient at keeping the cold out and the heat in?

I hear they can re-do the vacuum seal again?

1) Is that successful and cost effective, or should I be looking at new windows or dg units?
2) if they re-seal them, is there anything else they can do while in there to help with heat lose/energy saving?

Sponsored Links
you can have replacement sealed units fitted at remarkably modest cost

see "related threads" below

ask around for recommendations of your local window repairman

don't use online advertising sites masquerading as reccommendations.

Firstly contrary to popular belief dgu's do not have a vacuum, they are sealed at atmospheric pressure, no you don't re-do the seal but rather just make a new dgu

1/splitting the glass from the spacer bar and re-using the glass but replacing the spacer and sodden desicant will only ever be cost effective if its a very very large dgu and toughened at that, small float glass dgu's no you will crack the glass 8 times out of 10

2/ see 1

Sponsored Links
I hear they can re-do the vacuum seal again

there’s actually no vacuum!

Yes double glazing can be resealed, at least in theory: there is certainly stuff online about it.

However double glazing is manufactured using a hot melt mastic in controlled conditions in a factory, that can’t be replicated on site.

Take the opportunity and replace with new units using the latest specification DG units: Saint Gobain soft coat low emissivity coating, warm edge spacer and argon gas fill.

Firstly contrary to popular belief dgu's do not have a vacuum, they are sealed at atmospheric pressure, no you don't re-do the seal but rather just make a new dgu

1/splitting the glass from the spacer bar and re-using the glass but replacing the spacer and sodden desicant will only ever be cost effective if its a very very large dgu and toughened at that, small float glass dgu's no you will crack the glass 8 times out of 10

2/ see 1

When I was buying DG units, occasionally if my glass supplier got the Georgian bar wrong, they would take back the unit and split the unit…..I’ve tried splitting a unit it’s flipping difficult cutting through the hot melt. It’s absolutely not worth bothering.

In the trade double glazing, esp basic annealed dg units are cheap as chips so nobody in the trade would bother unless desperate.

Many thanks for answers all.
Very interesting stuff
That has helped a lot. I will search for good local fitter

You can keep the existing frames and replace the double glazed glass.
A lot cheaper and can be done by a competent diyer.

I would have thought a major stumbling block to resealing a unit is if anything goes wrong you have a big hole in the side of your house until you can get your hands on a replacement.

I had to replace a failed DG in a timber frame this week. From memory, it was about 700mm by 1000mm (toughened both sides). I paid cash and it cost the customer £80 (bar my labour, which included making timber glazing beads).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back