1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Condensation in conservatory - what ventilation

Discussion in 'Building' started by Chang, 20 Dec 2020.

1. Chang

Chang

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The roof is a double walled clear plastic. A friend of mine had a similar roof on his conservatory and the coldness and condensation caused by the roof made it totally unusable in the colder months. I fancy you could have vents installed in the upper white panels, between the DG and the roof. They might help a little, but make the room even colder. You may find tenants blocking the vents to reduce the cold draught.

You mention a curtain - is that all there is between the original part of the house and the conservatory?

A curtain will make almost zero difference to keeping the warmth and moisture level in the house, there should be proper outer type doors to close the conservatory off from the main house, unless the conservatory is up to standard so far as the insulation is concerned. Obviously from the photos it is not, it is intended as a warmer weather only conservatory.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. diy_fun_uk

diy_fun_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I went through this with the young tenants I mentioned earlier. It became apparent they had no idea their lack of opening windows after baths etc could be a contributing factor. I ended up printing off advice on how to keep rooms ventilated including how to wipe down any signs of mould on first appearance etc. They thanked me for the tips, however not all tenants would! You could maybe do something similar for them e.g. advise why that space is prone to condensation and give them hints/tips on how to mitigate best they can.

• Thanks Thanks x 1