Condensation in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope someone can help. We have what seems to be a common problem with condensation in our loft. We are due to have the felt replaced (currently the old bitumen felt being replaced with a breathable felt) as it is rotten.
We had our central heating replaced earlier this year. Originally we had warm air heating but now have a combi boiler in our airing cupboard.
I have moved our tumble dryer downstairs (condensor), fitted an extractor fan in the bathroom (which is now getting a damp patch around it!!!!) and this has reduced the condensation considerably.
Is there any other things I should do??

Sponsored Links
You are making a good choice by replacing the roofing felt, a breathable felt will allow the roof to breath reducing the condensation, it is also a good idea to install soffit vents to allow a flow of air throughout the loft. If you find the fan is not clearing all of the damp in your bathroom you can install tricle vents on you windows so there is a small draft all of the time.

Thanks for your reply.
We have the trickle vents on our windows open at the moment. We have soffit vents as well, although to be honest hubby's probably needs to check they are not blocked with insulation. Is it worth getting extra vents put in the fascia or see how the new felt goes.

I would probably wait to see how the new felt performs, technically it should work. A good idea would be check the existing vents on your soffit, a common error i have come across is when people insulate there loft they will block the vents and reduce the air flow. Check the fibreglass has not been laid over the vents. I hope this helps you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back