Condensation in outside 230v lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently fitting 230V outside lights down my drive, they are plastic globes on one metre high poles off the ground. In this cold weather the plastic globes are continually filling up with condensation. I've fitted the suppliers 'optional' rubber gaskets to seal the plastic globe to the base, and sealed the cable where it goes into the base but this does no stop it. Can anyone please inform me if it's possible for condensation to form in a completly sealed plastic globe? I'm assuming that cold air must be getting in somewhere, and when warmed by the bulb then forms condensation on the inside top of the plastic globe which then runs down into the base. When I remove the globe the base has about 3mm of water in it each time.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the answer is to drill a small drain hole rather than trying to make the unit vapour proof.

Bernard,

Before I fitted the gaskets the bottom of the base was open, the condensation was very bad. The plastic globes have their opening facing down onto the base, do you think a small hole in the top of the globe would let the warm air out before condensation forms?

Rod

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't that let rain water in??
Are they fully sealed units? Just wondering if it would be a good idea to put one of those desiccant crystal packs in (away from the lamp etc)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back