Condensation on bathroom wall from cold water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post so go easy on me!

Just moved into a new property and with the recent cold weather I've noticed that there is a line of condensation forming on our bathroom wall from a cold water pipe which is running into the flat upstairs (I presuming it's mains supply as it's so cold). To the touch the wall is considerably colder where the pipe is recessed, and is obviously why the condensation is forming.

The wall is solid brick and I'm presuming the pipe has been recessed, plastered over and painted with bathroom paint. No idea if the pipe has been insulated or lagged.

In some places the paint has started to crack and bubble due to the condensation so I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix or manage the issue. Can I strip back the paint and cover the plaster with some kind of sealant (glutenglass or similar) before re-painting liberally with a few coats of waterproof bathroom paint. I would prefer not to have to strip back the plaster to expose the pipe and fully insulate but appreciate this may be the only option to completely fix the issue.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cold main is very cold at this time of year and a damp bathroom
water is going to condense anywhere near.
Only solution would be tiling over.

have you got a bathroom extractor fan that works?

Thanks both.

No bathroom extractor, only a sash window which we open as regularly as we can, bit fresh at the moment to be doing that though!

Appreciate we're always going to have this problem in the winter, but is there anything I can do to prevent the paint from cracking and blistering in the future (on second thoughts this maybe more a painting and decorating query)

Sponsored Links
bathrooms without effective extractors are bound to get more condensation, damp and mould, so look into that.

It won't cure your problem, but it will make an improvement.

I'm finding that a lot of people are reporting leaking toilets, leaking pipes, damp walls, damp floors and mould but on inspection it is quite often due to condensation. Extractor fans will only partly work, The only way is to open the windows and brave the cold weather. Drying damp washing in the bath can cause it too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back