Standards for embedding the mains cold water pipe in a solid wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there any standards for embedding the mains cold water pipe in a solid wall ?

As part of our complete house refurbishment the entire plumbing system was replaced. In cold external & humid internal conditions, dampness formed in the plaster following the line of the mains cold water pipe in the kitchen wall. The builder eventually investigated and found the subcontractor have not used any insulation, thus allowing condensation to occur. A new in house plumber has now cut the pipe in & added insulation, but following cracking of the filler the insulation appears to be within 1-2 mm of the surface. Is this common practice /acceptable?

Your views would be appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks thats very useful, i assume that the equivalent rules apply in England?

Yes, both, England is the first part of the title "Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations & Scottish Water Byelaws"

Sponsored Links
Sorry, my mistake...its obvious when you point it out

The new pipe work has been embedded in an external wall, which i assume is why we experienced condensation on the pipes, resulting in the damp showing in the plaster. The addition of insulation now seems to be a way to compensate for what appears to be a breach of the regulations.

(the old pipe work was boxed in on the surface..... I understand why now!)

Our cold supply was buried in the wall, great idea until it started leaking!.

I ran a boxed in pipe up to 1st floor then had to pull a load of floorboards up to connect it to the other end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back